Sunday, September 07, 2008

Chicago Je t'Aime

This is how we fall in love.

At the navy pier, he shows me his openness with the endless vast and serene Michigan Lake. Along the hasty Michigan Avenue, he shows me his sophisticated modernity with a sense of vogue and materially spectacle. I can enjoy a leisure European afternoon with him at a café on the Chicago Avenue. He lets me know it’s real that absurdity and seriousness is able to beautifully coexist at Museum of Contemporary Art. He shares with me the richness of his past at the Art Institute of Chicago. He gives me the warmth under the gentle sunset light at each corner and boulevard.

I feel his vibrant pulse underneath the ground with a derelict smell and scene. He releases his anger with sonorous thunder and rain pouring on me. I witness his grand solitude on top of Sears Tower. I hear his sadness from the jazz out of a trumped at the central park.

Yes, it is jazz. Every note of the jazz tells me every facet of him: childish and sophisticated, gloomy and cheerful, aloof and affectionate, violent and gentle, weak and strong, deprived and prosperous, dark and bright. Surrounded by the glistering skyscrapers and the free jazz, I look upon the cloudless summer-night sky. A strong feeling of existence overwhelms me. Yes, I exist. It is this moment. It is this moment I fall in love with Chicago. And it is this moment Chicago fall in love with me.