Wednesday, June 21, 2006

The Engineers Talking in Mandarin.

Once I worked at AUO, which is the liquid crystal display manufacturer in Taiwan, I was responsible for a batch of penals running through a specific section of process. However, the machine system was not totally automatic yet. So I call a japanese engineer who accompanied with a translator and an American Engineer responsible for a kind of moving loader. Guess what language we used? Mandarin.

At that moment, I wonder if the era of Mandarin is coming. So many years of learning English, I never imagine that I don't have to say an English alphabet at a group of foreign engineers. The current issue of Time Asia reveals the trend of learing Mandarin with the rise of China. I suggest the Taiwan Minister of Education, Tu Cheng-sheng, to read about it. I hope it would be helpful to many children who are cramming up the arcane symbols of Taiwanese.

當我還在友達時,一次我要帶一批面板過一個製程,由於該段尚未完全自動化,所以我就請來該段的日本工程師及翻譯,還有一個負責面板載具的美國工程師,猜猜看我們說的是什麼話?中文。

當下,我在想中文的時代是不是要來臨了,學了英文這麼多年,我從未想過在外國工程師中可以不用說一個英文字。本期的亞洲版時代週刊報導在伴隨中國崛起的中文學習潮,我建議教育部長杜正勝可以看一看,我希望對啃著艱澀台語符號的小朋友有所幫助。